Saturday, May 12, 2007

The New World

Desperate voice heard on a cracking phone line from some third world country:

-But listen, I think the revolution is coming! People are suffering terribly. The generals are turning the blind eye. Private houses are burning! There's no more food or clean water. People are really terrified and screaming!

-Where did you say you were?

-I'm in the Mombulumbu province. I've seen it all and I have photo's!

-Well, I'll tell it to the editor. We'll call you back if we're interested. Have a nice day.

-But I'm calling from a temporary... hello?... HELLO?... beep-beep-beep. #%&*!$-----

Being a photo-journalist with an interest in the social and political field (and of the freelance-sort) isn't always as easy as it is interesting. But that's life. The story still needs to be told, even if the big media-houses aren't very interested. It may contain all of the classic news criteria, but if it doesn't have the three modern criteria: Sex, violence and celebrity involvement, it just doesn't sell. So are PJ's turning into an endangered species? I don't think so. The changing structure in the media-world is closing down old ways and opening up new one's in stead. I'm exploring the ways of the new media-world and it doesn't look too bad from where I'm standing. People still want to hear the good story, see the good photo's. How many magazines would be sold without any photo's? Not a whole lot. And then there are the kind of stories that people are not asking for, but would benefit from hearing anyway. Even more important, even tougher to sell. That's why I have set up this blog, so let's see how it goes. That, and the opportunity to rant a bit about what else is on my mind.

PS: Feedback is always welcome.

No comments: