Thursday, July 3, 2008

June went by so quickly...


Old husband and wife selling vegetables, Kathmandu. Photographed 1. June 2008 / Morten Svenningsen.

It’s been a while since my last post, doesn’t mean that nothing has happened here. What have I been doing?

• Just created the Denmark Nepal Network (DNN) on facebook yesterday. A meeting place for people of the two countries, excited to see what becomes of it... Welcome to join if you feel you qualify!

• I’ve edited text and photos on a big project called Football’s Hidden Story. Covering 16 different countries, it tells the story of how football (soccer) affects the lives of normal people, far away from the glamorous pro games, leagues and tournaments. Parts have now been published by FIFA and Sportingpulse.

• I’ve been optimizing my web-site so it now looks even cooler! And also doing some SEO work with good results. If you google photographer / journalist / photojournalist / stock photos etc. in Nepal, you will find me listed on the first page of the results. Number 2 seems the best so far.

• That'’s also resulted in a lot more visitors on the site, currently with an Alexa rank of 370.000 and still going up. So I’m starting to see a steady sales of stock photos now, although the income doesn’t amount to much. And I’ve even started selling posters as well!

• Also been doing a little work on something called the International Photojournalist Network. It’s a cooperative of photographers from around the world, we’ve been working on a few stories together so far.

• And I’ve written a book! Well, it’s not quite finished yet. But for long time I’ve been taking notes whenever I felt I had an epiphany about photography. So I’ve started putting the notes together in an article series: A Photographer’s Thoughts. Freely available on my site... update, site moved to www.mortensvenningsen.com...

• And I’ve started teaching Danish a couple of times a week. Lots of Nepalis still choose to seek fortune and glory abroad. Last I heard, 5-600 a day!

• Haven’t had much time to actually take any photos, the above one is among the few I did manage.

• And finally there’s been some “family developments” - - - - - - -


Outside the sphere of my own life, nothing big is going on here in Nepal. The ex-king left his palace and went into the jungle, 2 years after the Maoists came out of it.

It’s almost 3 months since the election now, and they still haven’t formed a new government. Looks like perhaps the Maoists and UML might take it into their own hands. The 7+1 party coalition is hanging by a thread.

And the monsoon has made it’s re-entry here. Only a couple of really big showers (torrential grade) so far though. That’s all set to change this month!

No comments: