Thursday, September 25, 2008

Technical Problems

Yours truly, the computer doctor! Copyright Morten Svenningsen 2008.


They never come alone, do they? Problems. First one of my lenses failed. Got an “Error 99” on the camera, which turned out to be the lens aperture control that wasn’t working. That’s now fixed, thanks to the guys at Primax. Yes, we do actually have an authorized Canon service center here in Kathmandu.


Next was my laptop. Think it was a virus infection and a conflict between two anti virus programs. Suddenly, no internet connection. No two ways around it, so I’ve spent all the time since last night re-formatting and re-installing. But nothing lost, except time. After a failed 2 hour attempt to do a repair install, the re-format part was done in an hour. Another hour to re-install drivers and essential software. The real time-killer here is downloading all the security updates and scanning the whole thing again.

But it’s good to start with a fresh installation sometimes. Can’t believe the amount of cookies, registry entries and what not that gets clogged up in the system over time. Oh, well, it’s all good again. Need to get myself involved in some serious documentary photo projects now. Rain’s still pissing down here, but I’m getting ready for a little road trip soon. And I got an idea for a new sort of project. So stay tuned for updates…

4 comments:

Bjarki Reyr said...

I´ve been following your blog and enjoying it. I find your photo of you doing a ´checkup´ on your laptop very amusing. I´ve just started using a program called SuperDuper! which makes a bootable clone of my harddrive (mac) on an external drive, so if things go wrong i can boot from the external or copy files back to my computer. In theory i should be up and running within an hour, but crossing my fingers i won´t have to.

JR said...

Yes, nice pic Morten! If there is no heartbeat I'd get a Mac. At least then you don't have as many problems with viruses.
I have a PC too, so I'm not into the Mac v PC cobblers.
The G4 Mac I used to own nearly drove me to distraction. But the MacBook is much better-just a shame that Apple are so crap at customer service.

Morten said...

Bjarki and JR, thanks for the well wishing comments! I've got the thing running again, hoping it'll survive another year or so. Mmmm, a MAC would be nice...

Anonymous said...

nice photo!!